Fiji’s coordinated response to COVID-19 with Bernadette Welch
Work with Purpose – Global Perspectives explores the important work Australian Public Servants do around the world to deliver not just for Australians, but for the people of many other countries. It is an important and critical part of Australia’s role in the world in diverse areas such as health, trade, agriculture, defence, national security, and diplomacy.
In this first episode of Work with Purpose – Global Perspectives IPAA’s National President Dr. Gordon de Brouwer PSM, is in conversation with Bernadette Welch PSM who until recently, was the Fijian government’s permanent secretary for health and medical services.
Fiji is made up of over 300 islands and around 130 of them are populated. So, when it comes to providing health and medical services, there are unique challenges.
Discussed in this episode:
- The emergence of the pandemic and Fiji’s quick response
- The implementation of Fiji’s COVID-19 Taskforce
- Building trust with the community with effective communication tactics
- Working with the World Health Organisation
- The importance of a good working relationship across government including the Military and Police Force
- The continuity of delivering services while dealing with a global pandemic