134: Knocking the door down and letting content in, with Libby Varcoe
Libby Varcoe, Content Community Lead at the Digital Transformation Agent, is no stranger to the content world having started around the same time that contentgroup was in its early stages. A fellow communications graduate once said: “look, I think we need to break into this content world.” The idea stuck, and from then on Libby was hooked.
Opening her own content communications agency, write-minded, in 2002, she worked with a number of major brands around Australia including The Australian Museum, The National Museum, St. George bank, Qantas and many more. Libby’s goal was to help brands create and implement their best content strategies with an emphasis on online channels.
While doing a nine-week contract for the Digital Transformation Agency, she was offered the opportunity to join the team permanently – an opportunity she lept at. Two years on she is now the Content Community Lead, heading a team of content designers to transport our government across federal, state and local areas to the digital age.
Discussed in this podcast:
- From the late-1990s to now, content communication continues to become an increasingly important communication tool for the government and public sector
- Why every team in a government department should have an understanding of content communication
- Why it’s vital to approach content proactively rather than reactively
- The importance of a sound archiving system
- How making the government/citizen interaction online easier boosts community participation and political awareness
- Taking inspiration from gov.uk and their approach to content – click here for their useful hints and tips about planning, writing and managing content
What is content communication? It is a strategic, measurable, and accountable business process that relies on the creation, curation, and distribution of useful, relevant, and consistent content. The purpose is to engage and inform a specific audience in order to achieve a desired citizen and/or stakeholder action. That is the practice and the process of content communication.
13 February, 2019
15 January, 2019