135: Effective Leadership with Paul Maddison, Canadian High Commissioner to Australia
Leading is always challenging; you need to have authority, be an inspiration to others, guide your people through change, diplomatically manage the politics of internal and external stakeholders – the list may well be endless.
For those searching for someone who has navigated these turbulent waters with finesses, we have the man for you – Paul Maddison, once Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy and now Canadian High Commissioner to Australia.
Paul has seen dramatic changes in his 38-year naval career, the rise of consultative communication and women in the workforce to name just two. Now as High Commissioner, he fosters bilateral relations between the two nations using an innovative communication strategy.
A must listen for all in a leadership role, with any interest in defence or international communications.
In the podcast:
- Changes seen during Paul’s 35 military career, including the introduction of a consultative communication approach and the rise of women in naval roles
- The importance of genuine and authentic leadership
- The role of storytelling in effective communication
- How to inspire subordinates and in still confidence in them
- The move from Naval Commander to Diplomat
- How the Canadian Embassy creates and manages content
- The importance of innovation in communication
What is content communication? It is a strategic, measurable, and accountable business process that relies on the creation, curation, and distribution of useful, relevant, and consistent content. The purpose is to engage and inform a specific audience in order to achieve a desired citizen and/or stakeholder action. That is the practice and the process of content communication.
28 October, 2019