136: How Defence is solving the recruitment problem in the digital age, with Pat Duffy
This week we have an extraordinary guest for you. With 30 years’ experience in marketing and a decade in recruitment for the Australian Defence Force, Pat Duffy is no stranger to the ins-and-outs of adapting and embracing change.
Starting her career at Defence Jobs in the late 2000s while the internet was on the verge of becoming the beast of a machine it is today, Pat has been at the forefront of innovating recruitment practices and efficiently making the most of the resources available.
While technology advanced and connecting with people has become a whole lot easier, Defence recruiting had to adjust its approach. With the use things such as social media, AI and storytelling Pat was able to keep her team up to date and move defence recruitment into the 21st century.
Discussed in this podcast
- The history of content in marketing – Telstra, Optus and Amdahl Corporation
- The value of face-to-face communication, online and offline
- Content being a mix of journalism and marketing
- How to measure the reach of your products pre-internet and social media
- The expensive price tag on qualitative and quantitative research
- Why technology has become such a crucial part of the recruitment process
- Storytelling and content essential in building a citizen understanding of military operations and experiences
- Early days of social media and defence – from one Facebook to 28, 27 Twitter accounts, 6 Instagram accounts and 6 YouTube channels
- Having multiple messages in your adverts – why people should shop with you, want to work for you, answer questions they will ask
- The future of AI in recruiting
What is content communication? It is a strategic, measurable, and accountable business process that relies on the creation, curation, and distribution of useful, relevant, and consistent content. The purpose is to engage and inform a specific audience in order to achieve a desired citizen and/or stakeholder action. That is the practice and the process of content communication.
17 April, 2018
10 April, 2018
3 April, 2018