EP#2: Relationships matter – with Andrew Metcalfe AO
The priority and pressure of dealing with the COVID 19 pandemic is forging stronger relationships not only in the Australian public service but between Government, Industry and peak bodies.
In our second episode of Work with Purpose, David Pembroke sits down with Secretary of the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment Andrew Metcalfe AO.
Andrew began his career in the Australian Public Service way back in 1980 when he joined the as an administrative trainee. In a distinguished career of public service both in Australia and overseas Andrew has served in key portfolios including Immigration, ethnic affairs, Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
He served as Chief of Staff to a Federal Minister and adviser to the former Prime Minister John Howard on international affairs, national security and machinery of government issues.
In this wide ranging conversation, Andrew speaks of his love of Italy, the importance of staying rested and fresh, collaboration with Industry and the inspiration he gets every day from working with his fellow public servants on this major crisis.
Discussed in the episode:
• The transition from the Bushfire Crisis to the COVID-19 pandemic
• Andrew’s department priorities
• The importance of relationships
• What Andrew’s department is doing to ensure economic stability through international trading
• Contrasts between past and the current crisis
• Inspiring action versus fear of failure
• IPAA’s Young Leaders questions
25 May, 2020
12 May, 2020