With more than 20 years’ experience in news and current affairs, Ben worked as a camera operator and video editor for several Australian TV networks including Seven, Sky News, and SBS. He covered national and international news based in the Parliamentary Press Gallery in Canberra, and later worked on the ABC “Stateline” program. Ben is also experienced in audio production and has composed music for various television current affairs programs.
Prior to joining contentgroup as Senior Videographer, Ben worked in media production for the Commonwealth Public Service. As Senior Editor at the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, Ben oversaw the technical and aesthetic aspects of video content for the various portfolio areas of the Department. This role included delivery of web video campaigns and live streaming Ministerial events.
Discussed in this episode:
- Ben’s background in videography
- The elements of video production that have stood the test of time
- The importance of storytelling
- Why everyone can now make video content, but few can make it well
- Identifying when to use video (and when not to)
- Using video to evoke emotion and produce action
- Keeping authenticity at the heart of video storytelling
- Producing content that won’t be scrolled past
- Why all videos should have video captioning
- Ben’s tips for producing quality audio and lighting for video