InTransition 138: Building strong relationships with your audience, with Trevor Young
A veteran of the world of marketing and content creation, Trevor Young joins us this week to talk about the changes he’s observed in his 25-year marketing career. While the internet has made it easier for people to communicate, the daily saturation of content in people’s lives means it’s becoming harder and harder to break through the noise.
In this episode, Trevor provides us with ways to do just that; break through the noise and engage a following. His tips include finding what interests your audience, then building your skill set to meet those interests and specialising as required, to make your relationship with your audience a successful one.
Like our host David, Trevor is one of the old dogs in the industry, busy teaching us all the new tricks. There’s a lot we can learn from those communicators who began their careers at the dawn of the internet, and this podcast is a rare insight into those times.
Listen to two old friends discuss the past and future of content.
Discussed in this podcast:
- How to build strong relationships with your audience
- The growing noise in marketing and how to avoid it
- Connecting PR with content marketing
- It’s a competition for people’s attention
- How to get people to listen, and stay listening
- Why storytelling is such a crucial element in engaging your audience
- Ways you can get creative with your approach to content creation
- The future generation of comms professionals: more prepared than ever
- Generalise your skills, then specialise
- Learning from experience – want to give advice about a podcast? Make a podcast. Want to provide tips for blogs? Start your own blog.
What is content communication? It is a strategic, measurable, and accountable business process that relies on the creation, curation, and distribution of useful, relevant, and consistent content. The purpose is to engage and inform a specific audience in order to achieve a desired citizen and/or stakeholder action. That is the practice and the process of content communication.
Each week a staff member puts pen to paper to write about an aspect of content communication that speaks to them, and hopefully, informs you. This is a space where our passion for writing, learning and sharing information comes to shine.
28 November, 2017
28 November, 2017