In this panel from the 2020 GovComms Festival, four speaker coaches from TEDx Canberra discuss tips and tricks for making your verbal communications engaging and effective.
Speaking on this panel are:
- Chris Huet, Speaker Coach at TEDx Canberra
- Maike Brill, Speaker Coach at TEDx Canberra
- Sally Dooley, Speaker Coach at TEDx Canberra
- Bradley Roche, Speaker Coach at TEDx Canberra
Chris Huet hosts a panel with his colleagues on having an impact and generating a reaction from your audience. They advocate for the use of gestures and anecdotes as useful ways to make an engaging speech. One of the methods of verbal communication that they discuss in depth is adding emotion to your words and how this creates a positive friction between an audience and the speaker.
The panelists then discuss the advantages and disadvantages of communicating in a virtual environment. Once again, they reinforce the importance of staying human in these new online workplaces. The panel also goes over advice to remain engaged despite not being able to see your audience.
After watching this video, you will:
- Learn effective verbal communication techniques.
- Understand the difficulties of presenting virtually and how to get around these.
- Appreciate the importance of the human connection when speaking.
Please note that this is a recording of a live presentation.